To evaluate the business case for individual elements you need an element set
in the first place. That's what RDA introduces-- the element set for
bibliographic data, mostly built out of what's in AACR2. RDA is AACR2 data
transposed into an element set. You need to do that before you can do
element-level business cases.

Most of the rule changes discussed (treaties, collective titles, books in the
Bible, and so on) are for headings. Concatenated elements in a heading have a
"business case" in the sense we need to construct headings to file correctly
for collocation. But the business case for each element can't be reduced to
just its form and placement in headings. Otherwise, we're left saying things
like "We need this element because it files here" in situations where people
are doing searches other than browse searching, and seeing displays that are
enriched beyond the strings of text in catalog records.

RDA doesn't "junk" old rules-- it applies labels and categorizations to our
data that represents our articulation of what that data means beyond its role
in constructing headings. When I first encountered FRBR in 1997, there was
certainly training required on the vocabulary, but not really on the reality
behind those concepts. Those were actually easy to grasp because there were
problems with AACR2 and MARC that were obvious in a way but hard to articulate
before FRBR. There were problems in the way AACR2 and MARC worked in the
various systems and OPACs I have experienced--

why was collocation, especially with name-titles and 240 titles, so messed up
in different indexes? why were there full authority records for some
name-titles and not others? why were related works and linked headings so
difficult to work with? why were so many MARC fields underutilized? why did we
continue to use AACR2 terms like "entries" when clearly there was so much more
going on in automated displays? why were there semantically confusing overlaps
(like 440) to keep track of? what display value was there for indicator values
like 700 x2 for "contains work"? why couldn't these relationships be extended
to other headings? why were the rules for added entries for compilations with
multiple people responsible so convoluted and clearly written for card catalog
constraints that didn't exist anymore? why was authority data so rarely
displayed in systems when there was very useful data there? why did I have to
worry about missing the abbreviation for a place-name covered in tables for
abbreviations when there didn't seem to be any point to abbreviations in modern
systems and OPACs? why couldn't I link parts of records to each other, such as
5XX notes that annotated other fields, and separate from 5xx fields that looked
like important elements on their own? why was some data in headings only there
to be break conflicts when that data could be so useful on its own? ... and on
... and on ... and on.

The reason AACR2 and MARC had problems wasn't because of the underlying data,
but in the fact we were NOT looking at the "final product" for that data.
Articulating our data in the form of an element set allows us to talk about new
products and business cases. That's the practical first step to take.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library