________________________________
From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Gene Fieg [gf...@cst.edu]
Sent: March-16-11 6:38 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] RDA "draft"

>I have been reading RDA and I am now in chapter 6 and while it is supposed to
>be very logical, I don't
> understands why the composition of preferred entries for librettos comes
> after their construction as variant
> entries to operas, etc.

>It is not clear to me why we can't combine choosing elements and constructing
>elements in part of RDA
>instead of splitting them.

I compare this to "mise en place" in cooking. First, put out all the
ingredients, measured and cut as required. Then mix part of the ingredients and
bake the authorized access point for the musical work. Continue with the
remainder and cook the variant access points for the musical work. The variant
titles for the musical work are used in variant access points for the musical
work. There will be probably be ingredients left over.

The authorized access point also often requires a pre-cooked authorized access
point for a person. That authorized access point for a person is also made out
of individual elements. All of the ingredients need to be put together in the
right order to create the desired authorized or variant access point. It's a
two-step process: 1) ingredients first, then 2) bake them together.

The leftover ingredients after creating authorized and variant access points
are interesting in RDA, since we don't have to discard those individual
elements. Those bits of data can be kept in records, perhaps normalized, and
utilized in searching and displays. That being the case, it makes sense to have
all those individual elements kept together, and have the authorized and
variant access points treated as separate constructions for different purposes.
That process also anticipates the use of those individual elements in scenarios
that don't require authorized access points.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library