With all due respect to the many good points that are being made, I object to the use of the term convention, which tends to imply mindless adherence to past practice. In fact, a great deal of thought and practice went into the boundaries drawn between different works that can be found in the current AACR2 rules 21.9-15, as well as comments elsewhere in that chapter and in chapter 25. There are boundaries, much of the time fairly clear to most of our users as well as librarians. Occasionally, however, what differentiates one work from another is difficult to pin down, and sometimes one can see a work going from unity to multiplicity and back (this particularly happens with works transmitted in manuscript). Reality, however, is complicated. Richard Smiragli wrote an excellent book on the subject (The nature of a "work," 2001).

I used to toy with the idea of the "work" as a platonic concept, but I really believe that FRBR is innocent of philosophy. I suppose you could construct the epistemological presuppositions and general philosophical view behind it, but I suspect that what you would come up with would be a surprise to those who developed the model. If one has to talk about mental concepts, perhaps we can get away from archetypes and forms with a separate reality and talk about shared perceptions of common characteristics.

As for superwork, I prefer the notion of "work family," which is used by Smiraglia (who got it from someone whose name I forget). That metaphor is much more flexible and accounts for some of the wild variety we see in works (fraternal twins, step grandparents, in-laws and so on :-)).

--
Laurence S. Creider
Special Collections Librarian