A few explanations about BYU's RDA records for Playaways.

In the 300 field we used "1 sound media player ...", the same as had been used
previously in AACR2. I see the non-BYU RDA records for Playaways used "1 audio
media player ..." which is probably more in the spirit of RDA, which changed
most of the "sound" SMDs to "audio". There isn't actually a carrier type to use
in 300 for any kind of "media player."

As for the media and carrier types, we concluded that a Playaway is unmediated,
since it requires nothing beyond itself to use: unmediated = "media used to
store content designed to be perceived directly through one or more of the
human senses without the aid of an intermediating device." The Playaway player
(taken as a whole including the attached earbuds) is an object used to store
content designed to be perceived directly through the human ear-unlike a CD or
a cassette you don't have to put a Playaway into any other machine to access
the information. So we used "unmediated" as the media type. That left us with
"object" as the only choice for carrier type, since the carrier types are
supposed to correspond to the media types. If we could have chosen from any of
the carrier types, without being restricted to the unmediated ones, I would
have chosen "audio cartridge" to describe the carrier for a Playaway. If it had
been available as an unmediated carrier type, "media player" would have been a
good choice, but it isn't currently in the list.

A wind-up music box is another example of an unmediated device that stores
audio information.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Head, Special Collections and Formats Catalog Dept.
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568