But what you do in the local catalog, does not actually stay in the local
catalog, because records get batchloaded to WorldCat and other union
catalogs (or catalogues) and, when that happens, what then will happen with
the matching algorythms for deduping records if each record has a different
SMD?
 1 sound media player
 1 pre-recorded MP3 player
 1 pre-recorded digital audio player
 1 Playaway
 1 audio media player
 1 digital media player

1) Is there an explicit code, currently in use in MARC--that we can use
while we are creating RDA descriptions in a MARC environment, that will make
it clear to a matching algorythm that this record is describing the same
thing as that record, no matter what is in the 300$a?

2) And since this is the RDA-L not the MARC-L, is there a combination of RDA
data elements that will reliably indicate that this description is
describing the same thing as that description, no matter what is in the SMD,
for whatever future matching we will need to do?

3) And/or is this another situation where The Registry could *really* help,
so that every SMD is registered, before it is used in a description in a
library environment, so that a matching algorythm can check the registry and
match on 'variant' terms? And, if so, when will that become an integral part
of our cataloging procedures?

Deborah
------
Deborah Fritz