Dear Ed,

Thank you for your straight answer ... (which I think is really 3 if-then
answers.)

I am aware of the 2008 OLAC Playaway Cataloging Joint Task Force
recommendations, but I take that with a grain of salt since RDA was not
actually published yet. It was the best that they could come up with at the
time, but a lot has happened with RDA since then. So I think that this
document is rather dated, as far as RDA life is concerned.

I think that this example illustrates that we are not quite there yet with
RDA. I do not think that we've gotten to a "final answer" just yet on this
... and many other issues.

Thanks kindly for your thoughtful response.

Best wishes,
Julie

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Ed Jones <ejo...@nu.edu> wrote:

> Julie,
>

> If you insist on a straight answer…
>

> If my library promoted them as Playaways and users knew them as Playaways,
> I would probably argue for calling them Playaways in the physical
> description. (As they say, What you do in the local catalog stays in the
> local catalog.) In an ideal world, where records carried more information in
> coded form, I would have a coded value in the record rather than a literal
> (something analogous to ONIX’s “AK”) and would leave it up to the local
> library what literal they wanted to have display in their catalog. In a
> shared catalog like OCLC, I would probably follow standard practice to the
> extent it exists. In 2008 the Playaway Cataloging Joint Task Force—yes,
> there was such a thing—recommended “1 sound media player” so I would
> probably go with that.
> http://www.olacinc.org/drupal/capc_files/playawaysPDF.pdf
>

> Ed

Julie Renee Moore
Catalog Librarian
California State University, Fresno
julie.renee.mo...@gmail.com
559-278-5813

"There is more to life than simply increasing its speed." ~ Mahatma Gandhi