From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] on behalf of Deborah Fritz
[debo...@marcofquality.com]
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2011 2:52 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Cataloging playaways

But what you do in the local catalog, does not actually stay in the local
catalog, because records get batchloaded to WorldCat and other union catalogs
(or catalogues) and, when that happens, what then will happen with the matching
algorythms for deduping records if each record has a different SMD?
 1 sound media player
 1 pre-recorded MP3 player
 1 pre-recorded digital audio player
 1 Playaway
 1 audio media player
 1 digital media player

1) Is there an explicit code, currently in use in MARC--that we can use while
we are creating RDA descriptions in a MARC environment, that will make it clear
to a matching algorythm that this record is describing the same thing as that
record, no matter what is in the 300$a?

2) And since this is the RDA-L not the MARC-L, is there a combination of RDA
data elements that will reliably indicate that this description is describing
the same thing as that description, no matter what is in the SMD, for whatever
future matching we will need to do?

3) And/or is this another situation where The Registry could *really* help, so
that every SMD is registered, before it is used in a description in a library
environment, so that a matching algorythm can check the registry and match on
'variant' terms? And, if so, when will that become an integral part of our
cataloging procedures?

Deborah
------
Deborah Fritz
MARC Database Consultant
The MARC of Quality
www.marcofquality.com<http://www.marcofquality.com/>
Voice/Fax: (321) 676-1904

 On Friday, April 22, 2011 10:58 AM , Ed Jones