Quoting Casey A Mullin <cmul...@stanford.edu>:

But regardless of whether the aggregate work and constituent work are directly related, or related by virtue of a common manifestation, W/E 2 and 3 need not be identified for the user in this example. As I stated previously, we may construe their existence, but the user need only be presented with W/E 1 and the three M's that embody it.

I don't see how this could be done, algorithmically if the parts have been given a relationship of "embodied in/expressed/" from the M to the W. Note that each W could be expressed and manifested in a number of different instances, so this is not a property of the work nor of the expression. Nor, in the case of a main work and a secondary work, is there any visible difference in the coding of this primary relationship.

If 1, 2 and 3 are all coded identically, there is no way to know which one is the aggregate and which are the individual works.

I need to back up here and say that we are talking about a linked data model, not a fixed record, so the idea of "marking" a W as "secondary" simply doesn't exist. Any such information needs to be in the relationship of the W to the M. That was the example that I gave with this:

w1
  e1
   m1 (the aggregate work)

w2
 e2
   m2 (one of the essays)

w3
  e3
    m3 (another essay)

m1
 has part m2
m1
  has part m3

I believe this is the only way to convey the information such that it can be displayed as you wish to the user.

kc

I hope that makes sense.

Casey