"kc: Nothing devilish at all in MARC: you add a 7xx for it. It's only devilish in a FRBR-based environment. "

And here's where our perspectives differ. I'm not talking about just adding an analytic for a preface. That's easy. I'm talking about treating a novel published with a preface as an aggregate Work with two components, and trying to account for all three in MARC. THAT'S devilish.

In a linked-data environment, it seems much more straight-forward, as any work/expression related to a manifestation would be given equal weighting, and would be related using the same exact method (as opposed to the main-/added-entry dichotomy in MARC).

"kc: Exactly. So how to you do this? that's the question we are asking. A title proper can only be defined within a FRBR manifestation entity. In this case, what does your FRBR manifestation contain, given that the the part exists physically only within that aggregate manifestation? You would end up with two manifestation entities for the same physical manifestation: one with the title proper of the part, and one for the actual item in hand. Honestly, I'd like to see what this looks like. It's ok for it to be a bit sketchy, but use, if you can, the RDA properties (from http://rdvocab.info). That would really help! (You don't need to use the URIs -- the element names will be fine.) "

There's no need for a second manifestation. We only have one. "Title proper" is a manifestation attribute, but "Preferred title" is a work attribute, and you can relate as many works as you need. How's this...

(I'm ignoring the aggregate w/e here, as it's not useful to identify)

m1 (novel published with preface)
    Title proper: Bend sinister
    embodies e1 (novel in English)
        realizes w1
           Preferred title: Bend sinister
    embodies e2 (preface in English)
        realizes w2
           Preferred title: [Title given or devised title]

This doesn't seem devilish to me at all. Am I missing something?

Does this clarify what I'm getting at, or are we still talking past each other? ;)

Casey

--
Casey A. Mullin
Discovery Metadata Librarian

--

"Those who need structured and granular data and the precise retrieval that results
from it to carry out research and scholarship may constitute an elite minority rather