Casey A Mullin wrote:

In the mean time, I'll respond to Karen and Heidrun's comments. To be clear, I'm not suggesting certain works/expressions be "flagged" as primary or secondary. What I'm referring to is the idea that certain works/expressions need not even be identified in the data. According to FRBR, we may know they exist, but identifying them (whether through access points, identifiers, etc.) is of marginal utility in a case like this.

I do understand your point. However, I'm still brooding about the question of "flagging" the main component and the accompanying works (like an introduction) in an aggregate work. This certainly would be useful in the cases where you decide something like an introduction is so important that it should come out in the data as well.

I had originally thought the flagging could be done by using a new attribute in the "work part" entity, and then Karen had quite rightly pointed out that a part of a work is a work in its own right and cannot be primary or secondary per se. And of course indeed I don't want to mark it as primary or secondary per se, but just in the context of an aggregate work.

Now it occured to me that this is similar to the sequence of parts in an ordinary work. E.g., "The fellowship of the rings" is the _first_ part of the "Lord of the rings", and not the second. As with the "primary/secondary" aspect, the information "first" only makes sense in connection to the work as a whole. How would that be modelled? There doesn't seem to be a fitting attribute on the work level in FRBR or FRAD. But perhaps it could be done using relationships between the parts; "has a successor/is a successor" might do the trick.

Then something similar could be used to catch the primary/secondary aspect in augmentations, e.g. by viewing the introduction as a supplement. So the relationship would be:

[work: novel] - has a supplement/supplements - [work: introduction]

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.