Mac wrote:
Heidrun said:

Then something similar could be used to catch the primary/secondary
aspect in augmentations ...
Are we using primary/secondary in two ways?  That is, to refer to the
aggregate (e.g., conference proceedings vs. a paper in the
proceedings), and to a basic work and its added bits (e.g., the
preface, introduction, bibliography, and index in a particular
manifestation)?

These seem two very different things to me, and are certainly
considered so by our clients.  Some get 505 and perhaps 7XX; others
get their own records.

I'd say the two cases are similar in so far as they would both be modeled using whole/part relationships. But they are also somewhat different, as in the "conference proceedings vs. paper in the proceedings" case all papers would be seen as full-fledged, whereas in the "novel vs. introduction" case we feel that it would be useful to distinguish somehow between the main component and the supplemental component. My proposal was to do this by using a "supplements" relationship between the work entity for the introduction and the work entity for the novel. In the conference proceedings case you wouldn't have such additional horizontal relationships, but only the whole/part relationship.

I can see a library purchasing a particular chapter.  But would a
library ever purchase a preface, introduction, bibliography, or index
apart from the whole e-book?  I feel guilty charging to create records
for those.

That was Casey's point: Although the theoretical model should be be able to capture all cases (including augmentations), this doesn't mean we'd really want to treat an augmented edition of a novel as an aggregate and make a separate record for the introduction in actual cataloging.

Mostly, we wouldn't. But if there was some demand for a separate record, then it could be done according to the model. Think of a special library collecting _everything_ by a certain scholar and presenting that in a specialized database. They would certainly buy a book with an introduction by that person and would then not only want a record for the book as a whole, but also a separate one for the introduction to be included in their special database.

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.