Here are some more issues with the model of the Working Group, now centering on the concept of an "aggregating expression". The more I think about this, the less I understand what this entity is supposed to be in the first place, and what might be the point of having it at all.

In the main body of the Final Report, the aggregating work is defined as something which happens when expressions are aggregated: "In the process of creating the aggregate manifestation, the aggregator produces an aggregating work. This type of work has also been referred to as the glue, binding, or the mortar that transforms a set of individual expressions into an aggregation." (p. 5). I've already pointed out that the aggregating work has really nothing to due with the individual works in a collection. It is something much more abstract, which I find difficult to put: Perhaps the idea of aggregating certain things. But at least, an aggregating work can have some of the attributes which ordinary works have: certainly a title, a date, and the "intended termination"; probably also things like intended audience and context for the work. I'm not so sure about form of the work (the examples in FRBR are "novel, play, poem, essay" a.s.o., which do not fit here; but perhaps one could have "collection" as a form of work). The aggregating work also has, of course, a relationship to its creator. So there is some information connected with this entity which can be worth recording.

But now let's look at the aggregating expression. The Report does (as so often) not say much about it, only this: "Although every aggregate manifestation also embodies an aggregating expression of the aggregating work, these aggregating expressions may, or may not, be considered significant enough to warrant distinct bibliographic identification." (p. 5).

Now looking through the list of attributes for an expression, I wonder which of them could be applied to an aggregating expression at all: Certainly not form and language, which in other cases are probably the most important attributes of expressions. But even if all expressions in the aggregate manifestation were, e.g., in French, this doesn't mean that the aggregating expression itself is French as well. Remember that the aggregating expression does have no connection at all to the expressions of the individual works (apart from the fact that it is embodied together with them in the aggregate manifestation). So an aggregating expression could not be used for e.g. distinguishing between different language versions.

I also think that it would be impossible to apply the FRBR attributes extensibility, revisability and extent as they all have something to do with the intellectual content. I wonder what the intellectual content of the aggregating expression might be? Again, it cannot have anything to do with the intellectual content of the expressions of the individual works. It seems it would have to be a realization of the "glue" but I find that rather abstract and very hard to imagine. Some attributes still seem possible, e.g. context and use restrictions, if one feels that this is worth recording. I'm also wondering if an aggregating expression could have a relationship to a person or corporate body which is not the creator of the aggregating work... Anyhow this makes me feel that the aggregating expression is rather an empty concept. Perhaps it's only there in order to adhere to the basic WEMI principle.

Also, what happens if, say, there is a second edition of a collection with the same essays but in a revised form? I assume that there would still be the same aggregating work involved. But would there be a new aggregating expression? I feel this can't be, as the aggregating expression is - as I said before - not really connected to the expressions of the individual works. So perhaps the correct modeling would have to have _one_ aggregating work and _one_ aggregating expression which is embodied in two different manifestations. If this is the right picture (and it may be not as the report doesn't say). I don't quite see in what way an entity such as this could be at all useful.

Another point open to debate are boundaries between one aggregating work and another. Think of textbooks which are sold over a long period of time. The compilers (creators) may change over time, and the chapters (by individual authors) may not only be continuously revised, but there may be new chapters added, old ones abandoned, new authors introduced. Now is all of this still the same aggregating work (I feel it should be) or not? And how would that have to be modeled - one aggregating work and one aggregating expression again? Would that be helpful for real life cataloging?

Sorry about this longish and slightly confused mail which has probably screwed up the minds of those who have actually followed my train of thoughts. The bottom line is: These things are far from obvious, and should have been addressed in the Final Report.

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.