Whatever field(s) and subfield(s) we choose to display in the 1st line for
title display, search and discovery are critical for users.

Re-Packing SMD (special material designation) from meaningful 33X into 245$h
[GMD] is logical based on demo records shared by Steven Arakawa from Yale Univ.
Library if such choices enable a user's task completion for the following:

1) playing Jazz music via mp3 audio or mp4 video player such as iPod;
2) viewing online map via browser;
3) reading eBook via eBook Reader such as Kindle Fire, etc.

So far, the discussions are very intriguing and rich.  But whatever we do, the
1st line has to be clear to the user at least which devices, browsers, eReaders
to be invoked for the user's task completion, e.g. playing, viewing, reading,
etc. in addition to transcribing the title proper as it appears.

The creative use of content type and media type based on the demos for music,
online map, and ebook is sense-making as well, particularly if we look at  them
via index definition of the title display and search.

It's another story for discovery.  At least, they are registered as:

1) RDA Content Type, http://metadataregistry.org/vocabulary/show/id/45.html;
2) RDA Media Type, http://metadataregistry.org/vocabulary/show/id/37.html;
3) RDA Carrier Type,
http://metadataregistry.org/vocabulary/show/id/46.html