Perhaps, but there are issues of overlap of what each element is supposed to
convey. As with the GMD, the 336, 337, 338 values are "general". Putting more
specificity into the GMD is as problematic as putting more specificity into
336-337-338 elements. There already were many kludges to fix the GMD to get
some useful specificity such as [videorecording (DVD)] or [sound recording
(CD)]. For many, the GMD was a hopeless and flawed practice, and certainly a
big reason to have it changed.

The 336 is also an Expression term that can exist in authority records, whereas
337 and 338 are Manifestation terms. The 336 Content Type can be a qualifier
for authorized access points for expressions. There are also some decisions
that are trigged from the broad categorizations in 336-337-338 such as when to
create a new record for a serial, and matching the value that is in the Extent
element. Also, there is a good correspondence between many 336, 337, and 338
values and MARC fixed fields, so in some ways one would still be making the
same kinds of decisions about content and carrier. I don't think the
336-337-338 fields can be ignored because they are interwoven into other parts
of RDA and there are some dependencies built in.

One useful Content Type term is "spoken word" which I would very much like to
see displayed more prominently (as opposed to terms like "non-musical sound
recording").

The "nature of the resource" is also covered by other Work and Expression
elements, and the RDA-MARC Toolkit map has $k pointing to other possible RDA
elements. I think more effort needs to be made on the whole form/genre issue as
RDA 6.3 (Form of Work) and RDA 7.2 (Nature of the Content) only carry forward
the limited scopes found in AACR2. The problem though is that we jump at the
idea of a physical location for a field (right after the title) and desire to
pour into that field that perfect term for the resource. But often that choice
for a term reflects different aspects of resources. The path we should be
following is to separate out terms logically, and then build consistent and
meaningful displays from that process as a secondary step.

For continued local use of $h in 245 I don't see a problem in the short term.
One way to approach this is to isolate $h properly (no punctuation included) so
that batch updates can easily delete or change the value in this field.

There does seem to be some confusion though, as the GMD's placement in the 245
doesn't mean that this term has to be part of the title element ($h was never a
"transcribed" value like the title proper-- there are separate elements being
discussed here, even though in MARC the punctuation is entangled). For local
use of 245$h I would at least end the inclusion of punctuation, as I mentioned,
and perhaps put the subfield at the end (often 245 $c is dropped from Title
Browse displays or separated in online catalog displays, so there's room for
experimentation based upon current system mapping for displays and indexes).
Locally, we've used many variations over the years, including other fields such
as 590, 591, 690, 691 to capture aspects of the resource that couldn't be
captured in traditional MARC fields.

Perhaps the biggest frustration I get in these discussion is the conflation of
issues. A discussion of controlled vocabulary terms shouldn't be bogged down by
display issues. For some, the GMD means a field stuck after the title (an
'early warning' tool); for others it just means that perfect term or phrase
that captures the essence of the resource (and therefore where it's placed is
not the issue).

These two aspects for describing general content and carrier terms need to be
separated.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library