Mike Tribby wrote:

> Ox Eckhardt hit .371 in 1932 for the Mission Reds to win the Pacific Coast
> League batting title.
>
> But where, if anywhere, do you draw the line? My need to know about
> and do research on oldtime minor league baseball doesn't measure up to
> the frequent examples of OPAC users starved for information about Clint
> Eastwood? I don't think Ox Eckhardt ever appeared in national media
> talking to an empty chair (but maybe he should have).

My guess is that the line would be drawn between:  a) relationships between
entities, and:  b) facts contained within the resource.

The Clint Eastwood examples illustrate relationships between Eastwood and the
resources, and the nature of those relationships.  To make a parallel between
Clint Eastwood and Ox Eckhardt, your desire to find out that Ox Eckhardt hit
.371 in 1932 for the Mission Reds to win the Pacific Coast League batting title
would be akin to finding out that Clint Eastwood took "x" number of days to
direct the film UNFORGIVEN, or worked "y" number of dollars on his role in THE
GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY.  Just like the case with Eckhardt, these facts
about Eastwood--whether or not anyone finds them interesting or important--are
bibliographically insignificant.  They would not belong in the OPAC.  I think
most catalogers would have no trouble seeing this line.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Northwestern University Library
k...@northwestern.edu