Mac wrote:

Perhaps need for distinctiveness should influence date inclusion in
title proper?  If different works have the same title, but different
dates, they are needed?

Interesting idea - very pragmatic.

In relation to at head of title data, the most frequent occurrence for
us is motion pictures, e.g., "Walt Disney presents ...".  That goes in
246 1  $iAt head of title:$a ..., not 245.

Yes, that had come to my mind as well. But this is a straightforward case, covered separately in RDA 2.3.1.6 (Introductory words). I was looking for examples where the first bit on the t.p. is less prominent (e.g. smaller font) than a later bit, but which is not of the type "introductory words".

One of the examples from the French cataloging rules in my other mail (thread "avant-titres") comes could be used, although you might still see it as a case of introductory words. Here's the example again (this time, I'll leave out all the accents to avoid possible "character garbling"):

Je roule sans accident! [Texte imprime]
_En note_:  Avant-titre : "un professionel de l'auto vous dit..."
_Commentaire_: L'avant-titre apparait en petits caracteres au-dessus du titre propre.

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.