From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Joseph, Angelina
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 09:42
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] avant-titres

I thought that RDA is for making things simpler, but when I read 2.3.4 and
beyond, I found “avant-titres” which I have never heard of and could not find
in Webster online either.
I consider it’s ironic to have words like this in RDA Toolkit.
--angelina

2.3.4.1 Scope
Other title
information▼<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/document.php?id=rdagloss&target=rdagloss-1316#rdagloss-1316>
 is information that appears in conjunction with, and is subordinate to, the
title proper of a resource.
Other title information may include any phrase appearing with a title proper
that is indicative of the character, contents, etc., of the resource or the
motives for, or occasion of, its production, publication, etc.
Other title information includes subtitles, avant-titres, etc., but does not
include variations on the title proper such as spine titles, sleeve titles,
etc. (see
2.3.6[http://access.rdatoolkit.org/images/rdalink.png]<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/document.php?id=rdachp2&target=rda2-4004#rda2-4004>)
 or designations and/or names of parts, sections, or supplements (see
2.3.1.7[http://access.rdatoolkit.org/images/rdalink.png]<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/document.php?id=rdachp2&target=rda2-3328#rda2-3328>).
Other title information may be supplied for cartographic resources (see
2.3.4.5[http://access.rdatoolkit.org/images/rdalink.png]<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/document.php?id=rdachp2&target=rda2-3884#rda2-3884>)
 and moving image resources (see
2.3.4.6[http://access.rdatoolkit.org/images/rdalink.png]<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/document.php?id=rdachp2&target=rda2-3899#rda2-3899>).

Angelina Joseph