From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Benjamin A Abrahamse
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:47 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] Im Zweifelsfall

Heidrum, I agree and disagree in equal parts.

There are a lot of means, besides the order of phrases on the t.p., by which
publishers can indicate the "titleness" of one particular phrase on the t.p.
Perhaps "Evaluation of pilot project" is in 9-point type but "emergency traffic
control for responders" is in boldface 15-point type.

Without seeing the t.p. it's impossible to say whether the publisher intended
"Evaluation of pilot project" to be avant titre and not "titre même", so to
speak.  So while I agree that, in case of doubt, a cataloger should transcribe
title information sequentially as it appears, if the publisher's intentions can
be visually derived from typography and layout, the cataloger should follow
that.  That is the essence of respecting catalogers' judgment--it's not just
that catalogers are expected to have more experience looking at title pages,
but they are also the ones with the actual source of information in front of
them.

(If the cataloger does find themselves "im Zweifelsfall", of course, it would
also be a good idea to provide added-title access to both parts of the title
with a 246:30.)

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems
MIT Libraries
617-253-7137