John,

"Here begynneth a lytell treatyse called" might more easily be considered such
a phrase, but I don't think it was intended by RDA 2.3.1.6.

It's good to hear that. Come to think of it, else there would probably already have been an alternative rule here for early printed books.

Still, I find thje whole thing rather problematic. I think it very likely that many errors will happen here. If you've got a "Here begynneth" example in hand, and you only look at the text of 2.3.1.6, I believe many people will (like Tony and me) come to the conclusion that "Here begynneth" must be left out of the title of the manifestation. This will be especially difficult for people who are not very familiar with Anglo-American cataloging or are completely new to the profession. So I wonder whether there shouldn't be at least some more information here (perhaps an LC-PCC PS?).

   LCCN 22008862 was cataloged in 1922, so it's not an example of AACR2
cataloging, much less RDA.

Indeed, a very bad example. By the way: Can I see the date somewhere in the record (as presented in LC's catalog)? I couldn't find where this information is stored in MARC.

Consider examples in 6.2.3.5, 18.5.1.3 (printer), 21.5.1.3 (Worde), where such
phrases are included in titles proper.

Sometimes I'm really impressed with RDA. I hadn't realized there are quite a number of "Here begynneth" examples in the text. I think that 6.2.3.5 doesn't help, though, as this is an example on the work level (and in this case, only for a variant title; "Here begynneth" has been left out of the preferred title for the work). But the other examples you mention are certainly proof that RDA wants us to include this bit in the title proper on the manifestation level.

Heidrun

PS: I'm very relieved to hear that things have calmed down again in Watertown.

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.