Bob,

I did take the second part of the sentence into account as well. You may disagree, but personally, I'd say that "Here begynneth a lytell treatyse called" is a prime example for something which wasn't intended as part of the title - at least not by the person(s) responsible for the manifestation when it came into existence. Doesn't the phrase explicitly express that the "real title" only comes after the word "called"?

On the other hand, we know that the concepts of title and title page, historically speaking, are fairly young ones. And judging from the present time and its requirements, it is certainly useful to give the whole as the title of the manifestation. I also agree that, if we think of the definition in 2.3.1.1 ("A title is a word, character, or group of words and/or characters that names a resource or a work contained in it."), it is perfectly legitimate to see the whole thing as the title - all of it is needed to name the resource, including the "Here begynneth". By the way: Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that "Here begynneth ..." nowadays is not a common introduction, whereas "Disney presents ..." is (so perhaps later generations will judge "Disney presents" quite differently).

So, yes - I admit that we can arrive at a good solution, using only RDA and hard thinking. But as somebody who teaches cataloging, I can't help wondering: Why does RDA so often make it so very difficult? Having a straightforward looking rule like 2.3.1.6, without giving any hint that there are cases which look just like it, but should be treated quite differently, seems a certain way of creating undesired results. Therefore I would have liked to see a "but" example here to illustrate these cases.

Perhaps it is up to cataloging teachers and textbooks to remedy this (I'm eagerly waiting for "Maxwell's handbook for RDA", by the way). But still, I often feel that RDA simply doesn't give enough guidance. "Cataloger's judgment" is all very well, but it isn't something people are born with. "Cataloger's judgment" must be trained and developed; it has a lot to do with experience. I know that the rules cannot do *all* (they must be supported by teaching, reading, discussing things with colleagues, getting into contact with many live examples a.s.o.), but they could certainly do *more* than they do now.

Maybe the German RAK rules are oldfashioned in that they tried to regulate it all too much (with the - of course unattainable - ideal that every cataloger should reach the same decision in any given case). But RDA does seem to move to the other extreme. As so often in life, I'd prefer a middle way ;-)

Heidrun

Robert Maxwell wrote:
2.3.1.6 says "Do not transcribe words that serve as an introduc tion **and are not
intended to be part of the title**" We shouldn't zero in on the first half of the
sentence without remembering the second half-and the second half puts the decision of
whether or not to record such words completely in the judgment of the cataloger. We are
to decide if the words are intended to be part of the title. If they are, we transcribe
them; if they aren't we don't. Frankly, in my opinion this goes without saying - when
recording a title from text on a source we first have to decide which words ARE the title
and we don't transcribe words that aren't part of what we decide constitutes the title.
(And as Heidrun points out there is no difference between AACR2 and RDA on this issue.)

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Head, Special Collections and Formats Catalog Dept.
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568

"We should set an example for all the world, rather than confine ourselves to the
course which has been heretofore pursued"--Eliza R. Snow, 1842.