Heidrun Wiesenmüller said:
> So, yes - I admit that we can arrive at a good solution, using only RDA and
> hard
> thinking. But as somebody who teaches cataloging, I can't help wondering: Why
> does RDA so often make it so very difficult? Having a straightforward looking
> rule
> like 2.3.1.6, without giving any hint that there are cases which look just
> like it, but
> should be treated quite differently, seems a certain way of creating undesired
> results. Therefore I would have liked to see a "but" example here to
> illustrate
> these cases.

But this is not a new rule.  AACR2 had exactly the same rule.  We have been
teaching
this rule and learning how to deal with it for over thirty years.  If you teach
cataloging,
I hope you are aware of this.  There are certainly legitimate complaints about
RDA,
particularly in clarity and examples.  But you cannot legitimately use this
rule as an
example of how RDA is a step in the wrong direction, when it is the same as
AACR2.

                                        Steve McDonald
                                        steve.mcdon...@tufts.edu