Apologies for cross-posting

Bernhard Eversberg mentioned somewhere along the way that RDA means
"Resource Description and Access", but on the email lists, we have seen
lots and lots of discussion among catalogers about the "D" (Description)
but relatively little about "A" (Access). The public however, is and has
always been, far more concerned about Access over Description. Even the
RDA changes for the headings, e.g. "Dept." to "Department", or "fl." to
"active" or getting rid of O.T./N.T. for individual books of the Bible,
are not actually increasing or decreasing access over what people had
previously, the only change is how the headings display. To me, the "D"
in RDA is the same as "old wine in new bottles" or in other words, it
only seems to be new and different but in essence, it is the same old thing.

The only changes to access that I have noticed are: the elimination of
the rule of three in favor of the rule of one, which will lead--in some
wondrous way I am waiting to see--to the release of pent-up cataloger
"energy" that has been contained over the centuries, so that there will
be an *increase* in the number of access points. :-) There is also the
addition of the relator codes to the headings, which is supposed to lead
to a different search experience from the traditional one, since people
will be able to search by the activities of the individuals: as director
vs. actor, editor vs. author, stereotyper, transcriber, or any of the
roles in the long list at
http://www.loc.gov/marc/relators/relaterm.html. (As an aside, I have
wondered that if someone were to catalog the result of a Google search,
would it be correct to use: 110/710 2_ Google,$ecensor) There are also
the newly-expressed FRBR relationships among works/expressions etc.

And yet, for the relator codes to *increase* access, it will clearly
demand updating the earlier records to include the relator codes on
those headings, just as with the recent RDA-mandated updates to the
authority files. The level of complexity to do the same for the relator
codes however, must increase several times and will make the recent
updates look incredibly easy in comparison (and those are already beyond
the resources of many libraries). Therefore, it is only reasonable to
assume that any *increased* access arising from relator codes will have
to wait for the far, far future, if ever. (Refer to my podcast
http://blog.jweinheimer.net/2012/09/cataloging-matters-no-16-catalogs.html
for more thorough discussion)

And yet novel means of *access* is what is driving much of the web:
through keyword, through references, through increased "metadata" on
you, your friends, your friends' friends, and those with a similar
"profile" as yours, and so on.

So I think that Bernhard is exactly right and that "A" as in "Access" is
the more important part for the public.

Finally, (in my round-about way) I come to my question: what about new
methods of access *using the data we already have*? What do people
think? Are there ideas percolating in people's minds out there?

--
*James Weinheimer* weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com
*First Thus* http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/