I appreciate everyone's replies so far. First, we already have an electronic soft start control, it just needs to be reprogrammed to reduce the starting surge more.  Second, we are way beyond 48v land.  We are in the realm of commercial scale inverters of at least 500 kW to 1.5 MW.  They will be running at 600 vdc min and probably 1500 v range.  Output is 480v 3 phase.

When I mentioned SMA, it was not their Sunny Island, its their larger scale Grid tie equipment syncing to a generator.

https://www.sma-america.com/industrial-systems/pv-diesel-hybrid-applications.html

Most of the inverters we are looking at are primarily being used with batteries for peak shaving to reduce demand charges on grid. Some, such as Dynapower can work off grid, but I am not finding evidence that anyone has much real life field experience off grid.  Princeton Power has their 100 kW inverter in Haiti forming a micro-grid, but I have very few details at the moment.

Even if your experience with these large battery inverters is just on grid, I'd love to hear about it. Offline is fine, if its not all good news.

Thanks,

Ray Walters

Remote Solar