Discover Battery has been around since just after WWII. I think that since
each Li battery is native to the system voltage, the way to get some
redundancy is to simply have more than one battery, most systems will
anyway. Then if one fails you can use the other ones until the failed one
is replaced or fixed. A lead battery would be less prone to catastrophic
failure, alkaline batteries even more so if you can handle the cost and
other issues, so there is something to be said for that. I have multiple
inverters and battery banks and it has come in handy when there are
failures (inverters).

Brad