Jeff,

This has to do with testing... it takes a lot of time to do real cycle life
testing even if you are doing accelerated testing.

Some of the Lithium manufacturers that claim 8000 -10,000+ cycles at
80-100% DOD I think are not being .... well you know...

I personally think they are oversizing the cells to ensure that a 100% DOD
cycle is just 60-80% DOD...

Just to give you an idea, we incorporated some changes into our batteries
last year that we had been working on since 2015. By adding carbon to the
S4500 and S5000 batteries by June of 2019 we had simulated over 4000 cycles
on the Series 5000's.  By the time we released the product we had already
done 4 years of testing to verify operation with multiple testing
partners.   We are still testing those batteries today to determine
their true failure point and cycle lives...

The hard part is what is a cycle, and controlling the depth of discharge
for every single cycle.   With LFP you have an onboard computer that keeps
track of all the power in and out, what discover is doing is a smart thing
to do, they are keeping track of the total power in and out and using that
for warranty.

Battery warranties are much like panel warranties, especially with
Lithium... You will lose some capacity right out of the gate, but the
warranty is usually 70-80% of capacity for "X" amount of cycles or thruput
power.   I kind of like the way Discover is doing their warranties, as to
how do you prove that someone has over cycled their battery bank?

<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
Steve Higgins ⋅ Technical Services Manager
t +1.902.597.4020  m +1.206.790.5840
f +1.902.597.8447  e st...@surrette.com
<#SignatureSanitizer_SafeHtmlFilter_> <http://www.facebook.com/RollsBattery>
<http://www.facebook.com/RollsBattery> <http://www.twitter.com/RollsBattery>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/RollsBattery>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/rolls-battery-engineering>
<http://www.instagram.com/RollsBattery>
<http://www.instagram.com/RollsBattery>
<http://www.instagram.com/RollsBattery>

------------------------------
*Become a Certified PV Professional. Register for* *NABCEP CEC 2020*
<http://rollsbattery.com/nabcep2020> *using promo code* *20RBE*
<http://rollsbattery.com/nabcep2020>
CONFIDENTIALITY: The information transmitted herein is intended only for
the addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged
material. Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or the
taking of any action in reliance upon this information is prohibited. If
you receive this email in error, please contact the sender and delete or
destroy this message and all copies.