Hi Jay, here are my guesses:
1) Customer is using all the power (3.5 is not a large array)
2)  Per William Miller, the batteries are shot.
3) combination of 1 &2
4) Bulk voltage is too high, daily trying to go to bulk voltage drives the
batteries to the grave.  Float voltage is too high, acting as a low charge,
holding off sell.  The return amps never drop to an acceptable level.
5) What is the sell voltage?  Is it too high?
I feel insecure in telling you my settings as I look to you as one of the
top people in the field.