I would challenge that inspector's assumption.  It starts becoming precedent if you don't.  I have challenged many rulings, and have lived to tell the tale.  There's a process and you just politely go through the process.  Often just mentioning that I will challenge a particular assumption like "lead acid batteries aren't allowed", will get them to back down on the spot.  Getting solar trade organizations on your side to help with the process can add much needed weight.

Ray Walters
Remote Solar