----- Original Message -----
From: Gisle Dankel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 5:22 PM
Subject: [REBOL] Re: zip file support wanted - help needed

> Petr said:
>

> > I am not sure you understand my point of view? I haven't said anything
> > about breaking cross-platform compatibility. But - being able to execute
> > external app by:
> >
> > call "some.exe"
> >
> > sounds pretty the same to me as
> >
> > do %some.r
> >
> > - as what if I don't have %some.r available? What if %some.r refers to
any
> > of your images you forgot to send me? I regard it being just completly
the
> > same kind of dependence upon "external environment"
>
> Hi, it's a bit crazy to argue that these are the same.
> I can send you the images and the scripts, problem solved!
> I can't send you the exe file if you're using a different platform.
>
> System calls complicate things a lot.

:-))) ;-) You don't mean it right? So that's exactly why MANY other
languages allow such features and are heavily used?

> People might use grep for instance instead of parse, because they know how

If someone wants to use grep, let's be it. But if someone can't unpack even
stupid archive, it pretty strange ...

Well, as I can see - there is no power in Rebol community to make strong
enough pressure on RT to show them features discussed would be very
helpfull, if freed ... that's why I will not continue in the discussion, as
if only few ppl share the same opinion, it could be regarded being rant.

Well, if some of my friends asks me what tool to use for his/her daily
scripting, I am not sure I can suggest Rebol here. I already lost few
friends on that front already. But you should realize, that once someone
start¨s to use some tool, produces many scripts e.g., spends some time using
it, he/she will probably NEVER return back ...

-pekr-