A while back, when View was upgraded,
the button style became more complicated,
using a gradient effect.
Anyhow, here's an example of how to change
the first button in a face containing three
buttons.

        view/new center-face lay: layout [
                button button button
        ]
        ; modify first button
        lay/pane/1/effects: [
                [gradient 0x1 166.120.192 0.0.200] ; normal
                [gradient 0x-1 66.120.192 44.80.132] ; pressed
        ]
        lay/pane/1/effect: first lay/pane/1/effects
        show lay/pane/1
        wait none ; wait for events

see also

        print mold lay/pane/1/feel