On 30-Aug-02, Andy Finkel wrote:
> Now, this is a _very_ interesting clue.

> If I use a similar example,

> view/new lay: layout [ button button button ]
> lay/pane/1/text: "hithere"

> show lay/pane/1
> wait none

> The text on the button changes. In fact, I can change it to anything
> I like, again and again.

> But if I do something like:

> view/new lay: layout [ button "test" button "test1" button "test" ]
> lay/pane/1/text: "hithere"
> show lay/pane/1
> wait none

> Or

> view/new lay: layout [ button copy "test" button copy "test1" button
> copy "test" ]
> lay/pane/1/text: "hithere"
> show lay/pane/1
> wait none

> Then the text is fixed to be "test". Every time I show, Rebol
> changes it back to the original text (which was test); Rebol must be
> storing the original text in some hidden place when I created the
> button, and always refreshing from that, rather than from the values
> stored I was expecting.

Hi Andy,

There's a simple way around that.  Your lay/pane/1/text: "hithere"
creates a new reference to the new string, which is why it doesn't
display, (layman talking here so take that description with a pinch
of salt:), but if you just clear the current string and insert the
new one it will be shown...

view/new lay: layout [ button "test" button "test1" button "test" ]
insert clear lay/pane/1/text "hithere"
show lay/pane/1
wait none

HTH.