I've done this many times, but in version 1.2.10  I see these promising functions...

its the first Time I notice them, they may be there since v1.2.1 ?!

   viewed?         function! Returns TRUE if face is displayed.
   what            function! Prints a list of globally-defined functions.
   win-offset?     function! Given any face, returns its screen absolute offset...
   within?         function! Return TRUE if the point is within the rectangle b...

-Max