RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the forum, and more check out the website at
http://www.rednews.co.uk
For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

Website Promotion Made Easy!

Online Awareness is a Manchester based company who help businesses advertise
their Website on the Internet. We can promote your services using the main
online search engines; Google, Yahoo and MSN. This will increase your Web
visibility, enquiries, leads and sales.

For a FREE Website review, please contact us using the details below quoting
reference: OA/REDNEWS

Telephone: 0161 432 3669
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: www.online-awareness.com

---------------------------------
[13] Order the new mag here. Subscribe and support
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by ed:
RN 127. Out August 20th.

In the UK £2.50 inc p&p each copy
ROW £3.50 inc p&p  each copy

To order click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

Subscribe to Red News.

UK 10 issue sub £25.00 inc p&p
Europe 10 issue sub £30.00 inc p&p
Rest Of The World 10 issue sub £35.00 inc p&p

you can order any of the items for sale on RN by cheque (sterling, made payable
to Red News), to Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG

And those kind hearted souls out there can help with our costs by making an
online donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit
helps with our costs - thanks. click on.

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

All our t-shirts - Some classic designs

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm

ECF '68 High Quality retro Shirts with Hand Embroided Crest. Order by credit
card or cheque at...

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP

UNOFFICIAL ALTERNATIVE SHIRTS

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm

Back Issues

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopsub2.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopsub2.htm

any queries, contact us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[12] Does this help
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by ed:
Paul Nottage, chairman of the Charlton Supporters’ Club

“It’s safe to say there will be a fair amount of stick heading Ronaldo's way.
There is bad blood anyway because of the ticketing policies and I can imagine
Ronaldo will get the backlash. He may have made things up with Rooney but it
will be a long time before he is forgiven by English fans.”

---------------------------------
[11] He's sacked himself
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by ed:
Sunderland lose 5th game on trot, to Bury in League Cup.

"I'll revert back to chairman as soon as possible. I'd hope for Monday's game -
it's 70-30 now we'll have a world-class manager in place. It's been hard being
temporary manager. I've been working hard behind the scenes to get the manager
in place. I probably won't be in charge for the West Brom game on Monday. I
stepped into this role because I didn't get the quality of manager I thought I
would but we are now getting very close to doing that.  I know my role is best
here as chairman. Over the weekend we may have better news. I can't name names
because we've nothing done yet but we're getting closer. We think we've
somebody who will give people a big lift they need and we'll give him the
budget he deserves."

and someone walking his dogs this morning in Cheshire will give himself a wry
smile...

---------------------------------
[10] Congrats Teddy
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by ed:
made his 700th league appearance last night at the age of 40

 http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-2051413-10351781

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

 http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-2051413-10295995 Have a Free £25 bet on totesport
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[9] Met a player?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by ed:
Have you ever had a memorable or entertaining meeting with a past or present
United player? One that stands out from the norm?

Would it make a good story, however short, for the mag or website?

We'd love to hear YOUR tales of meeting United players and staff that really
stand out - be it funny or remarkable - from the recent or distant past.

Send your memories to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

thank you

---------------------------------
[8] Smith on 1st team step up
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by ed:
"Playing for the reserves is a step up from training and hopefully, in a few
weeks' time I will have had some more reserve games and then be able to make
the step up to the first team"

---------------------------------
[7] Guardian on Hargreaves
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by ed:
'Owen Hargreaves will today attempt to put his case for a move to Manchester
United after Bayern Munich threatened to appeal to Fifa to force the Old
Trafford club to end their pursuit of the England midfielder. Hargreaves and
his advisors have arranged a press briefing in Munich this afternoon at which
he is expected to both demand a move and criticise his current employers'
persistent refusal to sanction one.
United's progress with the Canada-born player has ground to a halt in recent
days with Bayern refusing to even discuss selling him. But Hargreaves, who
still has four years left to run on his contract at the Allianz Arena, is now
more determined than ever to move to Manchester.

Hargreaves was left out of Bayern's squad for the 2-1 Bundesliga defeat to
Bochum on Sunday, officially because of a virus, and was then omitted for a
friendly against Barcelona on Monday.
Bayern's determination to involve Fifa has been fuelled by reports of
Hargreaves having face-to-face talks with Sir Alex Ferguson at United's
training ground the morning after England's friendly against Greece. The saga
could also have damaging repercussions for Hargreaves's standing at Bayern if
he is forced to stay in Germany, with a notable hardening in the language used
by the club's hierarchy.

Senior officials at Bayern say they feel let down by his behaviour and, in
particular, his public declaration that he wanted to move to Old Trafford,
despite having recently signed a contract extension. They have ordered him not
to make any further comments and re-iterated that he will not get his way.

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, Bayern's president, summed up that anger yesterday by
saying United should now cease all interest in the 25-year-old. "Otherwise we
will turn to Fifa," he told the Munich-based TZ newspaper. "The rules are that
a club may contact a player only when the club holding his contract agrees to
it."

United have run into trouble on this front before, most notably when they
signed Ruud van Nistelrooy from PSV Eindhoven in April 2000. Of more immediate
concern to Ferguson, however, is the fact that Bayern have given no indication
to suggest their position might alter before the transfer deadline tomorrow
week. Ferguson had been led to believe last week that there had been a
breakthrough in the talks but Bayern seem to have decided they cannot afford to
sell Hargreaves, even for £17m, in a summer that has already seen them lose
Michael Ballack on a free transfer to Chelsea.

"We have told Manchester United that they should stop trying to tempt
Hargreaves," said Rummenigge. "We are not Hamburg, who decided to sell Khalid
Boulahrouz [to Chelsea] the moment they had an offer for him. We are FC Bayern
Munich, and we don't give in to anybody. At this club, it is the employer who
decides what happens, not the employee."

Uli Hoeness, Bayern's general manager, was equally vehement. "Bayern Munich
will never be taken for a ride and become weak at the knees as soon as a
certain level of money is mentioned," he said.'

---------------------------------
[6] 1878 shirts
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by ed:

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

Shirts start at £24.99...OR... just £29.99 if YOU want an optional £5 extra
going straight to the MUST Phoenix Fund.

100% unofficial Short Sleeve 100% cotton, high quality shirts.

Option 1 - RNT64 Old style crest

1878 WITH full Hand made Embroidery of 1968 ECF style crest. HIGHEST QUALITY.

ONLY £24.99 including postage and packing!
OR just £29.99 if YOU want an optional £5 going to the MUST Phoenix Fund.

Available in Small, Medium, Large, X-Large and X-X-Large sizes. Please specify
SIZE when ordering.

Click on <http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm for badge detail

ONLY £24.99 including postage and packing!
or £29.99 with optional £5 going to the MUST Phoenix Fund. (Europe add £2 / ROW
add £4) - please fill in the price column and product code online accordingly.

Prod. Code: 1878ringer or RNT64

Option 2 - RNT65 - Phoenix Crest

Manchester, 1878 WITH full Hand made Embroidery of Phoenix style crest. HIGHEST
QUALITY.

ONLY £24.99 including postage and packing!
OR just £29.99 with optional £5 going to the MUST Phoenix Fund.

Available in Small, Medium, Large, X-Large and X-X-Large sizes. Please specify
SIZE when ordering.

Click on  http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm for badge detail

Price: £24.99 inc. p&p in UK or £29.99 with optional £5 going to the MUST
Phoenix Fund. (Europe add £2 / ROW add £4) - please fill in the price column
and product code online accordingly.

Prod. Code: Phoenix or RNT65

You can order by credit card - Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Switch or Solo. Or by
post at Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG.

Just mark the product code and shirt size when ordering below.

To fit chest:
S       36" (length 27 inches width one side 18 inches)
M       40" (length 28.5 inches width one side 19 inches)
L       42" (length 28.5 inches width one side 20.5 inches)
XL      44" (length 29.5 inches width one side 22 inches)
XXL     50"

Click on to order via paypal below

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=Red+News+Shirts/Hoodies&item_number=RN++Shirts/Hoods&cn=State+product+code&currency_code=GBP

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=Red+News+Shirts/Hoodies&item_number=RN++Shirts/Hoods&cn=State+product+code&currency_code=GBP

You can also order by phone or fax. E.mail us your phone number to - [EMAIL
PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[5] Head to Heads vs Charlton
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by ed:
from BBC

HEAD TO HEAD TOTALS
League: Charlton 10 wins, Man Utd 33, Draws 11
Prem: Charlton 0 wins, Man Utd 12, Draws 2

HEAD TO HEAD at Charlton
League: Charlton 7 wins, Man Utd 14, Draws 6
Prem: Charlton 0 wins, Man Utd 6, Draws 1

When you plan to have a bet - use Sporting Odds through us

 http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983
http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983

---------------------------------
[4] Expect no favours...
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by ed:
ref tonight is

Chris Foy (Merseyside)

---------------------------------
[3] Iain Dowie
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by ed:
"The West Ham result was a bit harsh on the lads but we move on. Wednesday
provides the ultimate test, against probably the best team the Premiership has
had in the time it has been been going. It is our first home game and we have
got to make sure that the fans go away having been entertained."

---------------------------------
[2] Times talk Hargreaves pitfalls
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by ed:
'Hargreaves, however, has continued to agitate in pursuit of a transfer and is
preparing to speak to the media today, when he plans to criticise the Bayern
management and reiterate his desire to move to Old Trafford.'

main text

'MANCHESTER UNITED run the risk of being reported to Fifa, football’s world
governing body, by continuing their dogged pursuit of a £17 million deal to
sign Owen Hargreaves.
Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, the Bayern Munich chairman, has threatened to take the
matter to world football’s governing body if United do not drop their interest
in Hargreaves and it has emerged that any submission to the authorities would
include allegations of an illegal approach to the England midfield player.

Hargreaves said in an interview with a German magazine a week ago that he had
been contacted by Ferguson while on holiday in Canada last month after the
World Cup finals, which Bayern, having not given United permission to speak to
the player, believe would constitute an illegal approach.

There is no evidence that Ferguson and Hargreaves talked specifically about a
transfer to United, but, given the way that the player has agitated over the
past fortnight, the Bayern management feel certain that the conversation would
constitute an infringement of Article 17.4 in Fifa’s statutes, which forbids
any club “inducing a breach of contract”.

Bayern had been prepared to overlook the alleged approach to Hargreaves as they
tried to retain the player’s services, but as tensions grow between the clubs,
with United having ignored a request to “end their interest” in the
25-year-old, they are preparing to include it in a submission to Fifa.

United remain confident that a deal will be done before the transfer window
closes a week tomorrow, but Bayern’s resistance, which seemed to be at breaking
point last week as an agreement was brokered with a third party, is increasing
by the day.

“We have told Manchester United to drop their interest or we will have to turn
to Fifa,” Rummenigge said. “A club can only contact a player when the club who
owns the player’s registration is in agreement. We do not let just anybody go.
The employer decides here, not the employee.”

Hargreaves, however, has continued to agitate in pursuit of a transfer and is
preparing to speak to the media today, when he plans to criticise the Bayern
management and reiterate his desire to move to Old Trafford. His relationship
with Uli Hoeness, the general manager, has become particularly antagonistic
after two heated arguments, while Hoeness, a former West Germany forward, has
also refused to co- operate with Hargreaves’s agent, Roman Grill, a former
Bayern employee.

United, who play Charlton Athletic in the Barclays Premiership this evening,
declined to comment on Rummenigge’s claims last night but are unwilling to drop
their interest in Hargreaves.

United are not under any legal obligation to cease formal negotiations with
Bayern, but the German club’s request is similar to a written request that Gill
made to Real Madrid over their interest in Van Nistelrooy in 2004. United were
relieved that their wishes were respected on that occasion, but they have
little intention of dropping their interest, having been encouraged by the
player’s comments and his willingness to sign a five-year contract, the terms
of which have been made known to him.

The deal remains highly problematic, but for as long as Hargreaves continues to
pursue the transfer, United are prepared to wait, even if it means missing out
on their fall-back option, Marcos Senna, whose agent has indicated that the
30-year-old intends to stay with Villarreal after his £4 million transfer was
put on hold.'

---------------------------------
[1] Your first ever United game
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by ed:
Got an interesting story/tale from YOUR first ever United game? A story that
stands out from the norm.

For an ongoing feature in the mag/site we're looking for your funny or serious
but more importantly well written short tales of YOUR first ever United game.

Send anything and everything to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

thanks

---------------------------------
[40] Spotted at Stockport station this afternoon
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 by ed:
the players waiting for a Virgin train.

Booking a train ticket?

var uri = 'http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp/js/101842/608750?' + new String
(Math.random()).substring (2, 11); document.write('');

Red News are pleased to recommend a local marketing and design company who can
do anything from a few flyers and stationery to full marketing strategies and
stunning photography. visit:  http://www.touchmarketing.co.uk
http://www.touchmarketing.co.uk - they even offer special rates for Red News
readers.

Red News has started selling goods in its own Shop on e.bay - spread the word!

 http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RedNewsShop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RedNewsShop

great original t-shirts  http://www.sumosam.co.uk/ http://www.sumosam.co.uk/

---------------------------------
[39] Times on Mikel
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 by ed:
'WHEN someone recently congratulated Manchester United’s hierarchy on banking
£12 million for John Obi Mikel, given that they had never indisputably owned
him in the first place, there was a rueful shake of the head. “We’d much rather
have had the player,” they replied.

A brief glimpse of the teenage midfield player in a Chelsea shirt on Sunday was
enough to deepen the regrets at Old Trafford. With touch, athleticism and a
physique like Patrick Vieira after a body-building course, it was easy to see
why the champions fought so hard to bring him to the capital.

Mikel once posed in a United No 21 shirt but Chelsea are confident that they
have landed one of the world’s great enforcers.'

have to pay for the privilege of showing Sky Sports in their hostelries.

The commentary is in Arabic and the adverts for items normally of little
interest to anyone in Portsmouth, such as Middle East mobile phone companies.
"We turn the volume down," said Derek Hopper, landlord of the Royal Exchange
pub. "We tried radio but we found it was a little distorted."

Al-Jazeera is doing nothing wrong as they have legally bought the rights to the
matches for countries outside the European Union. "It's illegal and it's
copyright theft," said Dan Johnson, a spokesman for the Premier League. "We
sell to Sky, and they have the sole rights to show league matches [in Britain]."

The Premier League has tried to sue the five pubs in Portsmouth showing matches
on Al-Jazeera but in two cases last month the landlords were cleared because
the judge ruled they were not aware they were doing anything illegal. The other
three had their case dismissed after the judge refused the Premier League time
to gather more evidence. The pubs' problem is that they now know they will be
challenged and must decide whether to carry on and risk getting caught.'

---------------------------------
[37] Sharpey in trouble
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 by ed:
from Leeds today

'Former Leeds United footballer Lee Sharpe faces being forced to sell his home
if he does not pay nearly £42,000 by Thursday.
The player has been taken to court by Douglas Turner, who Mr Sharpe bought the
Half Moon pub in Collingham from, over the money he allegedly owes.
In a High Court order made earlier this month, the 35-year-old star is told he
must pay the cash by 4pm tomorrow.
If not, the order says the property – believed to be a large house near Leeds –
will be sold.
It goes on to say that the claimant, Mr Turner, will use the proceeds firstly
to pay any costs or expenses, then any other charges over the property.
After that Mr Turner will keep the amount due to him and pay any balance to Mr
Sharpe, who also played for Manchester United and England during his career.
The debt is thought to stem from when Mr Sharpe bought the pub from Mr Turner
in 2004.
It is believed the footballer paid £200,000 and signed a document promising to
pay an extra £30,000 later.
However, Mr Turner says that has not been paid and has taken Mr Sharpe to court
to get it.
Mr Douglas said: "He offered me £20,000 at one stage but it's only fair that I
get all my money back.
"I have had to borrow money from relatives and I need all the money he owes me
because I want to sell my home and move."
According to the court order, Mr Sharpe needs to pay £37,165 and an additional
£4,750 to cover the claimant's costs, as well as a daily interest charge, to
prevent the order to sell his home from taking effect.
The Half Moon was later sold by Mr Sharpe.
A spokesman said he did not want to comment.
He has appeared on TV as a sports pundit and also found fame on last year's
Celebrity Love Island where he started a romance with Abi Titmuss.
Mr Sharpe's biography on his agent's website says he has also launched his own
fashion collection, invested in an estate agency and has shares in an airline.'

---------------------------------
[36] Choccy on Smith
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 by ed:
"His effort has been wonderful, you can see that day in, day out. We won't take
any risks with him but he's not far away from that September target return to
the first team"

---------------------------------
[35] Guardian on Glazers
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 by ed:
'Malcolm Glazer's family are expected to review security arrangements after
supporters attempted to confront them at a city-centre hotel after Sunday's
game against Fulham. Riot police were called to disperse what is understood to
have been a pre-planned, yet unsuccessful, attempt to attack Manchester
United's owners by a 30-strong group five hours after the match at Old Trafford.

The incident occurred at the Victoria and Albert hotel close to Granada's
studios after news had spread that Glazer's sons, Bryan and Avi, might have had
rooms booked there. The police confirmed yesterday that hotel staff had rung
999 because of a threat of violence and that a fire alarm had been set off.

The hotel's guests had to be evacuated, with the supporters deliberately trying
to force the Glazers out of what they thought were their rooms. Several police
vans attended along with a fire crew, but it is not thought the Glazers were
there at the time.

United are aware of the incident but have decided not to make any public
comment. The Glazers have their own bodyguards and it is understood their
security arrangements include making block bookings under different names at
several hotels before the matches when they fly in from Florida.

The family also insists on travelling in cars with blacked-out windows,
although Bryan Glazer stated earlier in the summer that they had now been
"accepted" by United's fans.

That claim looks, at best, to be misguided, the latest incident proving that
the hostility is as deep as it has ever been. Anti-Glazer graffiti has been
daubed over Old Trafford and the people responsible for the latest security
scare are believed to be affiliated to the so-called Manchester Education
Committee, an unofficial fans' group that has let it be known it will resort to
violence in its attempt to drive the Glazers out of the club.'

 http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-795737-10412212

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[34] Bayern on Hargreaves flu
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 by ed:
Bayern manager Felix Magath

"He came to me and said he had a touch of flu and I didn't want to take any
risks, so I took him out of the squad. Fortunately, I have options to replace
any player with somebody of equal value."

---------------------------------
[33] Fergie on home form
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 by ed:
"If you look at Chelsea's home record in the last two years, it's been
absolutely superb. We identify the areas we want to improve and obviously five
home draws last season can be better. I think we can do better than that
particularly the two 0-0 draws. That was frustrating for us at the end of the
season when we had a good momentum going. Our away form last season was
excellent so we want to convert those five draws into wins."

---------------------------------
[32] PA on early team news
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 by ed:
Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes both miss Manchester United’s trip to London to
face Charlton as they start respective three-match bans.

Sir Alex Ferguson is hoping Ryan Giggs recovers from the heavy knock he took in
the win over Fulham on Sunday, when Gary Neville, the captain, only completed
45 minutes.

Gabriel Heinze and Nemanja Vidic (both knee) are absent, as are Michael Carrick
(ankle) and Alan Smith, who did return to reserve-team action on Monday night
after his double leg break.

Charlton will be without Djimi Traore as the defender serves a one-match
suspension.

Gonzalo Sorondo is likely to fill in at left-back, with Nathan Ashton another
option for Iain Dowie, the manager.

Cristian Bolanos, the Costa Rica winger, is still awaiting clearance on a work
permit, while Cory Gibbs (knee), their American defender, and Jerome Thomas
(foot), the winger, are both longer-term absentees.

CHARLTON (from): Carson, Young, Hreidarsson, El Karkouri, Sorondo, Ambrose,
Faye, Holland, Hughes, Reid, Hasselbaink, M Bent, Myhre, Rommedahl, D Bent,
Lisbie, Euell, Ashton.

MANCHESTER UNITED (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Neville, Brown, Ferdinand,
Silvestre, Evra, Ronaldo, Miller

---------------------------------
[30] Mirror link us with Tevez
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 by ed:
'MANCHESTER UNITED were placed on red alert last night after long-term transfer
target Carlos Tevez announced he planned to quit Brazil for a move to Europe.

Argentine World Cup hitman Tevez is demanding a move after falling out with new
Corinthians coach and former Brazil goalkeeper Emerson Leao.

The South American striker, 22, has made it clear he wants to come to Europe,
with United and Bayern Munich favourites to sign the forward as Chelsea are not
interested in a bidding war for the £25millionrated front-man.

Old Trafford chief Sir Alex Ferguson still seeks a replacement for Ruud van
Nistelrooy after Inter Milan's U-turn over allowing Brazilian ace Adriano to
leave.

And United fan Tevez, dubbed "The Apache" and "The Bull" due to his aggressive
playing style, would fit the bill.

Tevez, stripped of the Corinthians captaincy by Leao as he does not speak
Portuguese, demanded a transfer after the weekend win over Botafogo.

The 22-year-old striker announced: "This may have been my last game in the
Corinthians shirt.

"I would like to stay but I have to think about what is better for me and my
family."

His agent Adrian Ruocco confirmed: "Carlos wants to go to Europe."

When Corinthians signed Tevez in 2004, he attended a press conference wearing a
United shirt and has never hidden interest in playing for the Red Devils.

Alan Smith gave United an additional boost last night when he played 66 minutes
for the reserves in a first outing since breaking a leg.'

Booking a train ticket?

var uri = 'http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp/js/101842/608750?' + new String
(Math.random()).substring (2, 11); document.write('');

Red News are pleased to recommend a local marketing and design company who can
do anything from a few flyers and stationery to full marketing strategies and
stunning photography. visit:  http://www.touchmarketing.co.uk
http://www.touchmarketing.co.uk - they even offer special rates for Red News
readers.

Red News has started selling goods in its own Shop on e.bay - spread the word!

 http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RedNewsShop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RedNewsShop

great original t-shirts  http://www.sumosam.co.uk/ http://www.sumosam.co.uk/

---------------------------------
[29] Squeaky voice speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 by ed:
Alan Ball

"I'm disappointed in his agent and by Rooney for taking on the FA. How much
power do players want? He should accept his punishment, grow up and become a
great player. I was sent off nine times and deserved it. But I finished off a
miles better player by taking my punishment. He has to accept that you have to
grow up to become a top football player - and he will do if he takes his
punishment on the chin. But he won't if he thinks that he can come out and make
statements to the FA."

---------------------------------
[28] O'Shea on Ronaldo
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 by ed:
"I think he is up to the test. I think he will thrive on it. I have no fears
about him whatsoever. It has always been the case, some players have been
targeted after certain things. It seems to spur them on. The more they boo him,
the better it will be for us. Soon enough, people will realise it will be
better to leave him alone, then, I am sure it will die off."

---------------------------------
[27] Choccy on Lee Martin and Bardsley
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 by ed:
"Phil and Lee are exceptionally talented players. There's no doubt in our minds
that these two lads are future first-team players. My belief, based on personal
experience, is that you need to be a special type of person to play for United,
Celtic or Rangers. You need big b******s. Phil and Lee both have a finely-honed
competitive streak. That comes from being with a club where, even though it may
be a youth team match in a deserted stadium, the opposition is desperate to
beat you because you're wearing United jerseys. But being with United is about
how you conduct yourself on and off the park. This move is going to be a life
experience as well as a shrewd move for their playing careers. It'll be great
for them, a wonderful chance to show what they're made of. Rangers also offer
them the European football and I think Lee and Phil will be better men for the
experience. I'm certain Paul Le Guen will update our gaffer on their progress
and it would always be our way to keep close tabs on the guys for ourselves.
Personally speaking, I don't want to see them again. My work with them is over
and the next time they go back to Old Trafford I want it to be as members of
United’s first-team squad."

---------------------------------
[26] More Smith
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 by ed:
"I just need a few matches under my belt now. My movement was okay and I just
need to build up my strength a little bit. I could probably have played all
night and not scored but I have worked hard all summer to play in matches."

---------------------------------
[25] Bayern threaten to report us to FIFA
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 by ed:
Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge

"We have told Manchester United that they should stop trying to tempt
Hargreaves. If they don't we will have to turn to Fifa. A club may only contact
a player if that player's own club gives its permission. We are not like
Hamburg, who decided to sell Khalid Boulahrouz the moment they had an offer for
him. We are FC Bayern and we don't give in to anybody. Here it is the employer
who decides what happens and not the employee"