>  > > My question is, how would I extract the source code and patches from
>  > > the Apache RPM supplied on the Redhat cd's into a directory like
>  > > /usr/src/apache-1.3.9?  I was able to install stock apache source
>  > > code, no problem, but I am coming up short trying to find the Redhat
>  > > patches.
>  > >
>  >
>  > rpm --install apache-1.3.9.src.rpm
>  >
>  > will unpack the specification file, some patches and some tar files. Then
>  > you can use rpm -ba to build it all, and various other rpm commands to do
>  > stuff like partial builds.
>  >
> I'll just add that the sources and patches go into
>
> /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
>
> and the specification file into
>
> /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
>
> The BUILD and RPMS sub-directories of /usr/src/redhat are what
> you think they are, if you do re-build.

All that directory tree is owned by root (and /usr is supposed to be
mountable ro unless my reading of the fsstnd is seriously flawed) so you
may wish to customise RPM.

At this point, I will leave Red Hat to explain where the current
documentation for RPM may be found; the book at www.rpm.org is seriously
out of date; RPM 3 has significant changes that are not reflected in any
documentation I've been able to find.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield