> On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, John Summerfield wrote:
> [snip]
> > All that directory tree is owned by root (and /usr is supposed to be
> > mountable ro unless my reading of the fsstnd is seriously flawed) so you
> > may wish to customise RPM.
>
> RPM actually looks at the value of the %_topdir macro to see where the
> root of it's building tree is.  So, if you want to have your RPMs built
> elsewhere (I generally build from ~/projects/redhat), set %_topdir in
> ~/.rpmmacros to override the value from the default /usr/lib/rpm/macros.
> Note that you need to have the subdirectories (BUILD/ RPMS/<arch>,
> SRPMS/ SOURCES/, and SPECS) already created, otherwise, rpm will
> complain when you try to build a package.

That is one crucial matter not covered in any RPM documentation I've seen
(other than email). There are more refinements too.

The default configuration (and yours, Jeremy) will try to build all RPMs
in the same tree; if you run more than one at a  time they will fall over
each other.

The build root needs to be different for each RPM, and unless you create
your own spec files you can't rely on it being set there. Indeed, the spec
file is entirely the wrong place to set it.

and /tmp is rarely the right place to put it; if a user accepts Red Hat's
recommendation of 600 Mbytes for /, there simply is not enough space in
/tmp to build anything more han toy rpms.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield