At 18:26 2/10/00 +1000, Tony Nugent wrote:
>Nice to see a reply so quickly.  I hope this issue gets a fair bit of
>debate (as this thread died in a pathetic whimper in the lead-up to
>rh61, and IIRC, rh60 before that).

if memory serves the last time it was an entirely one sided plea from
the users that fell on the deaf ears of the then IPO rich redhatters.

>> RPM provides a hook that might give you some of what you want. 'rpm
>> --changelog -p <RPM list> will dump the changes associated with a list of
>> packages. You can use 'diff' to compare the changes from an old release
>> to a new release to see what's changed.
>
>That's an idea, but I doubt that this approach will work.

tried that from 6.0 to 6.1... very painfull way to do it; and in the
end I missed a lot of stuff.

>Personally, I'm pleading for this to save my own sanity :)  But I'm
>sure that such documentation will help many others, become a one of
>the more popular nice little features of upgrading to a new version of
>redhat...

this may be the kind of thing that we the users have to put together.
There's a great system out there called faq-o-matic, that as near as I
can tell from the outside allows ANYONE to add an entry... perhaps if
we can get someone to put up one of these systems somewhere and get
everyone who finds a change to submit all the pertinent info to it,
then when it REALLY releases somebody update all of them to say they
came from the beta and we tag them back to normal or append that they
still exist in the real thing or whatever....

p.s. REDHAT: PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Pretty-Please with sugar on top?

hmmm... maybe too late for my sanity, but maybe we can save Tony?

  cabbey at home dot net <*> http://members.home.net/cabbey
           I want a binary interface to the brain!
Today's opto-mechanical digital interfaces are just too slow!