> > > I figure it's worth a try :-)
> > >
> > > I got pgcc 2.95.3
> >
> > pgcc != gcc. pgcc has been known to produce bad code before, so I
> > wouldn't trust it too much.
>
> Yeah, but it's an open-source product, so it's subject to continual
> improvement; it's not like pgcc is a Microsoft product or anything. :-)
>
> Besides, so far, I've build glibc and XFree-86 for i686 with pgcc, and
> installed both, and so far the machine hasn't shown any obvious
> glitches.  (I'm working on the fundamental libraries first.)

Before you go too far, why not
1)      Use a test-program to see which compiler produces 'best' code. Building
Perl, then running a Perl script that runs for about 10 minutes CPU is
probably a reasonable start. Don't worry about building glibc too, you're
just looking for an indicator, not a quantative benchmark.

        Yes, I know that Perl isn't a good test for everyone; read the
benchmarking howto.

        Fiddle with compiler options to get a feel for what set works best.

2)      Produce a reasonable benchmark, run it on standard RHL 6.2. Produce
baseline figures. Read the benchmark howto. Statically-link your benchmark
programs; that way you can use a different RTL without replacing the one
on the running system.
2a)     Optimise the benchmark for each CPU the compiler supports and record
the performance differences.

3       Build your RTL with your preferred compiler. Build the kernel with the
preferred compiler. Build your benchmark with it too.
        Reboot and run it. Record the differences.

About this time you will know if it's worth proceeding further.

It's certainly not worth rebuilding everything; you will clearly get no
benefit from an optimised Gnome of you never use it.

On my system, I'd get most benefit from Perl, the Kernel, TK & TCL (I use
exmh a for my mail), glibc (probably). Oh, and Java.

There may some marginal improvements from XFree, QT core components of
KDE, nmh. Maybe.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield