> JF Martinez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Mandrake's marketing claims strongly performance improvements due to
> > being compiled with PGCC (an unofficial GCC optimized for Pentiuls and
>
> Mandrake's developpers claims using gcc2.95 and say it's make a big
> difference.

I would not expect Mandrake to say otherwise. Pls quantify 'big.'

If it simply means the CPU is idle more of the time (surely the case for
most desktops), does it really matter?

I recently compiled the 2.3 kernel rpm. It took hours on my PII-233. I
would hardly have noticed the difference between egcs, gcc 2.7.2.3 or gcc
2.95 - I don't wait round for long-running jobs.

Note: the comparison IS valid; building the compiler involves first
compiling with whatever's to hand, then building the compiler with itself.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield