> > > Mandrake's developpers claims using gcc2.95 and say it's make a big
> > > difference.
> >
> > I figure it's worth a try :-)
> >
> > I got pgcc 2.95.3
>
> pgcc != gcc. pgcc has been known to produce bad code before, so I
> wouldn't trust it too much.

Yeah, but it's an open-source product, so it's subject to continual
improvement; it's not like pgcc is a Microsoft product or anything. :-)

Besides, so far, I've build glibc and XFree-86 for i686 with pgcc, and
installed both, and so far the machine hasn't shown any obvious
glitches.  (I'm working on the fundamental libraries first.)

Steven Boswell