> I did some tech support for a family member yesterday. This person has
> been using computers for at least 15 years, including almost 10 as a
> home user. On the face of it one would suspect that such a person
> reasonably could be expected to know how to install a hardware
> driver -- particularly when accompanied by instructions -- onto a
> Windows 98 Plug and Play computer.
>
> And yet this person could not do it, and it's not for a lack of
> intelligence, either.
>
> The simple fact is unavoidable: Microsoft et. al. have *failed* in
> their efforts at making computers "easy to use." Have a listen on the
> real tech support lines and I'm sure that you will be forced to agree.

I happen not to like Windows, but I'd have to say that my wife and three
daughters (all of whom have "been using computers for 15 years") would be much
more likely to succeed at installing hardware and drivers with Windows than
with Linux.

I maintain it's easier to go to a Windows box and do something useful. OTOH
it's easier to do lots of useful things with Linux, but it takes a lot of
learning, and prior experience with Windows & OS/2 isn't very useful.