> On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Nitebirdz wrote:
>
> > Again, I'm a big supporter of Linux and open source in general. I am
> > _convinced_ that Linux will sooner or later win the desktop market
> > too.  However, I cannot in good faith deny that Windows is more
> > user-friendly right now.
>
> How so?
> If a user limits himself to doing only slightly more than what he can do
> in Windows (use KDE 2.0 exclusively (with konsole and friends disabled,
> of course), run autologin (http://www.linux-easy.com/development.php) to
> log in as root all the time [I know that's stupid, but it's basically what
> Windows does, and avoids the need to learn anything about permissions],
> reboot every time something doesn't work right (instead of starting the
> service), how is Linux more difficult?
>
> (This was a serious question, not a rhetoric one. If you can list a couple
> of points, maybe they can be fixed...)

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Kensington Turboball; it's a four-and-a-half
button trackball and has a USB interface.

I could give it to any of my daughters and confidently expect that they could
get it working with Windows.

I don't expect any of them would have it working in a reasonable time on
Linux. It's not that they are novices (they grew up with computers in the
house, and have used them as far back as CP/M-86), and I reckon two of them
could replace a HDD without much drama.

As for printers...

My most recent experience on OS/2 was with my then new Canon BJ4200. I
downloaded the Canon package from IBM's OS/2 device driver site and unpacked
it.

I unpacked the archive and opened it on the desktop. It opened like a standard
OS2 folder and had lots of printers in it.

I dragged the BJ4200 onto the desktop, checked the settings an there it was.
The same package also has a driver for my aging BJ300 which is almost unusable
on Linux - there IS a WP driver for it; you download the Windows driver,
rename it and use that. For StarOffice? forget it.

Oh, sound is a bit messy too. I have an ESS1868 card. It used to workin THIS
box, but I wanted it in THAT box; the box is a Gigabyte with the TX chipset
and on-board sound. Get it to work there? I assume the onboard sound confuses
things, even though it's turned off. I'ts not very important, and I've not
pursued it.

I for one have been saying Linux GUIs are better than Windows. I've also been
aying (and it's still true) that they've not caught up with OS/2 2.1 yet.

The main difficulty my wife has is remembering to login using AnotherLevel to
run xpat2, and KDE for StarOffice. If I log her in, chances are she wouldn't
know if it was NT or Linux; she's been known to confuse the login screen,
though I think she knows the difference now.