On 22-Aug-2000 Frank Schmuck, CFO wrote:

> 1. Windows2000 auto-detects my BP6 dual processor system.  All I have to

So did RedHat 6.2.

> 2. Ever set up a printer?  Ever do it successfully?

One ink-jet, 2 laser printers (one PostScript).  5 or 6 network printers.
Never had a problem, RedHat 4.2+.

> 3. How about monitors?  At least you learn the term "screen refresh."

The trick for the day is "generic SVGA capable of 1280x1024@75Hz."  I can't
count how many Windows systems have caused me to tear my hair out trying to
convince it them 60Hz is NOT optimal.

Of course, the correct answer is to not need any of that information, like the
NVidia drivers claim.  I have not tested that feature.

> 4. Network cards - 3COM - works fine under Windowz, need to trash it for
> Linux.

My housemate swears by em.  *shrug*.  I use generic cheap random cards.

> 5. How about sound?  Hellooooooow?  Still can't hear a thing.

There I've had problems as well.  First easy one is that few distributions try
and set up sound as part of the install.  Second is some weirdness with
SoundBlaster cards and PNP.  Third is new cards that are not really supported.

That said, all my systems have working sound, as do all the systems that I have
set up for other people, but I often end up setting it up manually since the
configuration tool doesn't work.

> 6. But my Linux system has been running for 24 months now without a

My power is no where near that reliable.  And I've got a bad habit of
recompiling kernels.

My sister (an english teacher) is currently using linux.  I am seriously
considering getting my mother to use it, just so that I can have a prayer at
figuring out what's wrong with her system.

Doug
--
Doug Kilpatrick