Alex Kanavin a écrit :

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
>
> > > The main developer is using Slackware. This pretty much explains his
> > > attitide towards gcc 2.96-RH ("It's buggy shit! No, I don't know what the
> > > bugs are and I don't care.") and Red Hat users in general. But he still
> > > could be called reasonable and friendly when compared to the mplayer
> > > documentation maintainer, who is a total asshole.
> > Now that explains everything. Should I bother writing to them about it,
> > though? Or simply forget it?
>
> Forget it. A lot of people did that before you, including myself and the
> only result is "2.96 is shit! Red Hat sucks! Lick my ass you lamer!" all
> over documentation and mailing list, and stupid childish barriers during
> mplayer compilation. If you really want to get in contact with them, I
> urge you to use gcc3 - as it's not (yet) Red Hat's default compiler, they
> tolerate it, even though they agree it's buggier than 2.96. Human nature
> is weird...

Well I certainly wouldn't use gcc 3 for communicating with people so
arrogant
and with a such flexible concept of ethics and truth.  For communicating
with them I would suggest instead
two fine russian products called AK47 et AK74
(http://www.kalachnikov.ru/).
Just kidding.

> By the way, it was me who fixed that mmx bug in mplayer, the only known
> ACTUAL problem with 2.96 (oh, and gcc 3.0 also has it, but that does not
> fit their "2.96 is buggy" theory so they silently ignore this fact) -
> still they managed to completely misrepresent it, the FAQ entry about 2.96
> is a plain lie - in their favour of course.
>
> Or just use avifile. I'm not familiar with it though, but I hope the
> developers are not as arrogant.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will not touch mplayer with a pole.

--
                Jean Francois Martinez

The Independence project: because Linux should be for everyone
http://independence.seul.org