On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Alex Kanavin wrote:

> By the way, it was me who fixed that mmx bug in mplayer, the only known
> ACTUAL problem with 2.96 (oh, and gcc 3.0 also has it, but that does not
> fit their "2.96 is buggy" theory so they silently ignore this fact) -
> still they managed to completely misrepresent it, the FAQ entry about 2.96
> is a plain lie - in their favour of course.

Do you have the details on this one? I'd like to add a note on it on the
gcc 2.96 FUD-counter page.

> Or just use avifile. I'm not familiar with it though, but I hope the
> developers are not as arrogant.

The problem with avifile is that (at least last time I checked), it
requires Win32 DLLs as codecs. mplayer and xine (http://xine.sf.net/) can
use ffmpeg (much nicer, since it's free).

So far the only drawback I've seen when comparing mplayer to xine is that
xine can't play Video-CD rips (".bin files"), but that should be fixable.

LLaP
bero