Fred Whipple wrote:

> >The speakers are magnetically-shielded.  I have no idea about the monitor
> >tho'.  But even if the monitor's not, the speakers wouldn't be the problem
> >if they are shielded, or would they?
>
> Well, technically, magnetic shielding is a two way thing.  That is, though
> yes a given device is 'shielded' to some extent, it's not usually shielded
> well enough to eliminate interference from non-shielded devices.  Even two
> devices that are shielded aren't completely immune, and can interfere with
> each other.  So, although I wouldn't stamp my name to it, it's very possible
> that this is your problem.
>
>     -Fred

OK.  Would it cause lasting damage, or just interference?  That is, I've
taken the speakers away from the monitor and it seems to have made no
change.

Sorry about all the questions...

ps.
You know what bothers me?  Windows 95 does not need to know all this
information when setting up the display?  However, XFree wants to know
everything except my shoe size!

I'm using Linux because of its stability, efficiency, and development
tools.  If Win 95 offered these to me I'd never touch Linux again.

I know there's complexity associated with power, but couldn't there be a
simpler layer (GUI) available for newbies.  At the moment, I'd give
anything to be able to configure this system via buttons and textboxes
;-).

Regards,
David Taylor.