David Taylor wrote:

> OK.  Would it cause lasting damage, or just interference?  That is, I've

Don't worry, if you still see the image, it's in the monitor's range, so you won't
damage it.
Damaging the monitor in the X context means choosing H/V frequencies beyond the
monitor's capabilities and leaving it running for some time. In this case, the image
is completely screwed-up.

> You know what bothers me?  Windows 95 does not need to know all this
> information when setting up the display?  However, XFree wants to know
> everything except my shoe size!

In order to give you back the best! :)

> I know there's complexity associated with power, but couldn't there be a
> simpler layer (GUI) available for newbies.  At the moment, I'd give
> anything to be able to configure this system via buttons and textboxes

XF86Setup for XFree and ConfigX for MetroX do exactly this.

dan