On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Scott Drake wrote:

> I don't really think this is plain wrong, although libc5 might be dead in your eyes
> you just can't drop support for it and expect the whole world to follow. It makes

There is a difference between continuing building a distribution around
libc5 (which is plain wrong) and supporting libc5 binaries for backwards
compatibility.

We do support libc5 binaries and I have yet to hear about libc5
applications failing on RH 5.0

> no sense to just drop support for something just because you think it's dead, RH
> should have least made it clear the libc5 programs will not compile under 5.0

They will compile. We have a distribution with about 400 packages which
_did_ compile under glibc, if that is anything worth to you as a proff of
concept.

> like this, you break almost everything out there and then tell people it's your
> problem not ours so go spend more money on another machine just to compile
> older programs that won't compile under glibc. For this you don't expect users to

Get youself an updated RH 4.2 RPMs directory, create a 1gig partition in
/mnt/rh4.2 for example, then do a
        mkdir -p /mnt/rh4.2/var/lib/rpm
        rpm --root /mnt/rh4.2 --initdb
        rpm --root /mnt/rh4.2 --noscripts -ivh *.i386.rpm

Then:
        chroot /mnt/rh4.2 bash
and you are set, you have a 4.2 virtually running on your 5.0 machine.

There _might_ be some tweaks you'll need to do (like configuration in your
chroot-ed environment, etc) after that, but you get the idea that you
don't need an additional machine...

As for the extra gig required, it is cheaper than a new machine.

Cristian
Cristian Gafton   --   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   --   Red Hat Software, Inc.