On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:11:04 -0500, Mike Wangsmo wrote:

>>I too am disappointed that after 4 months this problem still hasn't been
>>addressed, so much for Quality Control. But just like Mirco$oft, they have
our
>>money now so screw us :(
>
>That is just plain wrong!  The whole point is libc5 is dead.  We are not going
>to support it any longer.  At some point in time, ALL linux dists will either
>be based on glibc or be done.  We are supporting 4.2 for another 2 years or so,
so
>if you need to build libc5 apps, the best thing to do is run a 4.2 system.

I don't really think this is plain wrong, although libc5 might be dead in your eyes
you just can't drop support for it and expect the whole world to follow. It makes
no sense to just drop support for something just because you think it's dead, RH
should have least made it clear the libc5 programs will not compile under 5.0
which it did not and really should have phased out the support over several
releases not from one to the other.

>You can set link paths to create libc5 apps on 5.0, but I don't know how to do it
>and I suspect it will be a major problem to set up.  I would recommend against
>doing it as it is bound to cause other problems.

I can't understand why anyone would just up and drop support for something
like this, you break almost everything out there and then tell people it's your
problem not ours so go spend more money on another machine just to compile
older programs that won't compile under glibc. For this you don't expect users to
get upset.

Regards,

Scott Drake