Check your /var/log/messages for any clues.  There must be some error
messages logging there.  Somehow someone will need to login to the machine
locally and give you the information.

Next time your up there I'd recommend a secondary service in case of any
problems with ssh.  I like webmin personally.  If ssh is out then at least I
can do something.  Heck, maybe someone can reboot the box for you
(ctl-alt-del).  Not headless I hope :D

Good Luck!

Sentinel

---
I tried the telnet idea before. It's not even installed. So that's out.
but thanks for the suggestion.

Any thoughts on what would be causing sshd to fail would be helpfull.

Ric

PS: I won't be back in Seattle for a couple of months. But the next time
I'm up there, I'll consider both a UPS, and a modem.