On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:04:22AM -0500, Tibbetts, Ric wrote:
> I tried the telnet idea before. It's not even installed. So that's out.
> but thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Any thoughts on what would be causing sshd to fail would be helpfull.
>
> Ric

I would try one of two things.  Try starting sshd and then tail
/var/log/messages to see what the error is.  You should be able
to walk even a non-computer user through these commands.

Or, if the machine has a network connection have the user try
starting sshd and then type the following

# tail /var/log/messages | mail -s logs [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Then just wait for the email to arrive which may provide you with
additional insight.

At least this way you may get a bit more information as to what
is causing sshd to fail.

/jft