Jeffrey Tadlock wrote:
On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:04:22AM -0500, Tibbetts, Ric wrote:

I tried the telnet idea before. It's not even installed. So that's out.
but thanks for the suggestion.

Any thoughts on what would be causing sshd to fail would be helpfull.

Ric

I would try one of two things.  Try starting sshd and then tail
/var/log/messages to see what the error is.  You should be able
to walk even a non-computer user through these commands.

Or, if the machine has a network connection have the user try
starting sshd and then type the following

# tail /var/log/messages | mail -s logs [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Then just wait for the email to arrive which may provide you with
additional insight.

At least this way you may get a bit more information as to what
is causing sshd to fail.

Yep, this is what is surfacing as the answer. I'll try the UID switch first. Then I may be able to grab a copy of /var/log/messages. If that fails, then I'll have my remote fingers mail it to me.

Whew! Been fun (and it's still not solved...).

Ric